We have our servers set to authenticate against our LDAP infrastructure. This is configured from Server Admin > Services > Open Directory. The role needs to be set to “Connect to another directory.” This allows for authentication with LDAP as well as Active Directory.
If you want to upgrade later to an Open Directory replica, you will need to unbind the server and then select “set up an Open Directory replica.” If the server is still connected to the other directory, you will receive the following error:
“Cannot replicate a directory with augment user records”
Steps to accomplish this are available from the Apple KB article TS3180.
1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
2. From the View menu, choose Accounts.
3. Click Login Options.
4. Click the Edit button that is next to Network Account Server.
5. Click Open Directory Utility.
6. In Directory Utility, double-click LDAPv3 (you may need to click the lock icon and authenticate first).
7. Select your Open Directory Master from the list and
8. Click Delete.